Zero-Gravity Aerial Yoga
A relaxed and peaceful state of mind
Combine traditional Yoga with the physical training of an aerial acrobat.
Whether you are new to yoga or are advanced in your practice aerial yoga will be great for you.
Zero-Gravity Aerial Yoga is a yoga, acrobatic and fitness program designed to increase overall health, physical strength and flexibility while having fun! Created by Suzanne Hennig through her experiences and expertise as a Yoga Teacher and training with top aerial artist Rebecca Leonard. It takes aerial acrobatic components, modifying them to fit into a challenging new form and expression of yoga.
The fabric trapeze (referred to as a hammock) is hung close to the floor to partially or fully support the weight of the body. Many postures are designed to help the student better understand the purpose of traditional Yoga postures. Some postures are designed to help students achieve advanced traditional Yoga postures. Advanced Yoga postures such inversions and extreme backbends can take years to learn and physically achieve. The practice of Zero-Gravity Aerial Yoga can help speed up that process in a safe manner.
A Typical Class
Students spend time using the hammocks, and also spend time on the floor. Classes slowly progress from using the hammocks to hold a little bit of body weight to using the hammocks to hold 100% of the body’s weight. The slow progression empowers new students, and carefully introduces what can be very intense new sensations to the student.
Frequently students will share a hammock, which not only allow for traditional Yoga asana practice, but also inspires a friendly, non-competitive, non-reclusive atmosphere to the class. Students are encouraged to ask questions, make comments, tell stories, and participate in the playful banter that naturally emerges when a person is having fun.
- Zero-Gravity Aerial Yoga supports a traditional Yoga practice in numerous ways:
- Challenging traditional Yoga postures such as inversions and deep backbends can be achieved without effort and without strain with the use of the Aerial Yoga Hammock
- Deep muscle releases achieved in the air allow students to explore much deeper stretches in their traditional Yoga postures on the floor.
Zero-Gravity Aerial Yoga®
Classes use a low-hanging fabric hammock that acts as a soft trapeze that supports the weight of the body. Students explore their maximum stretch through relaxation rather than effort, turning upside-down with ease, putting zero pressure on the head or the neck.
The practice develops upper body and core strength and stability, relieves compressed joints and aligns the body from head to toe.
- Achieve traditional yoga postures such as inversions and deep backbends without effort and strain
- Explore deep muscle releases and more intense stretches compared to traditional yoga postures on the floor
- Strengthen shoulders without compromising flexibility and strengthen core abdominal muscles without spine compression
- Achieve a relaxed and peaceful state of mind; all while having fun!